Sunday, September 06, 2009


Dark chocolate and bacon cupcakes.

I've been wanting to make these for weeks, but it's been impossible to find dark chocolate cocoa in any of my local stores. I finally find a can from Scharffen Berger at the Amish Market. I'm a little disappointed that the cakes and frosting don't come out as black as in the pictures in the linked recipe, but they taste great.

Turns out I only have about half the amount of powdered sugar in the house as is called for in the frosting recipe. I plan to make up the difference with the regular granulated kind, but when I taste it I think it's just fine. Admittedly, I do tend to like my chocolate a little on the bitter side. Adjust for personal tastes, is my general point here.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Chocolate and bacon? Interesting combination. I may have to try that one of these days.

kat said...

I think the Nestles Special Dark Cocoa that I use comes out much blacker than any other brand I've tried